"Six Degrees of Separation" is a theory going back to 1929. Frigyes Karinthy, a Hungarian author, wrote a series of papers and the concept of "Chains" was included in it. He theorized that everyone in the world is separated by a series of 6 introductions. A few years ago Facebook claimed to have researched this and they've changed this to 4.3 Degrees. I'm not about to change the logo.
Other areas where 6 (degrees) appears:
- 6 degrees of freedom in sailing
- The Leaning Tower of Pisa was leaning at 5.9 degrees (rounds to 6) before it was "fixed"
- there are 6 steps (degrees of brewing)
- every snowflake has 6 points
- beer should be served at 6 degrees above freezing (38 degrees)
If you have more to add, please let us know and we'll put your name on it!
© All rights reserved